List of Applications/Games
List of Applications
- 1 Gaming
- 1.1 Action and Adventure
- 1.2 Arcade
- 1.3 Casual Games
- 1.4 Chess Simulators
- 1.5 Education
- 1.6 Interactive Fiction
- 1.7 Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMO)
- 1.8 Platformer
- 1.9 Puzzle
- 1.10 Racing
- 1.11 Rogue-like
- 1.12 Role-playing Games(RPG)
- 1.13 Shooters (FPS, third person)
- 1.14 Simulation
- 1.15 Strategy
- 1.16 Tycoon/Management Games
- 1.17 Other
- 1.18 Comparison table
- 1.19 See also
1.1 Action and Adventure
- Abuse — Side-scroller action game that puts you against ruthless alien killers.
- AstroMenace — Modern 3D scrolling space shooter with ship upgrade possibilities.
- Barrage — Violent point-and-click shooting game with nice effects
- Blob Wars: Metal Blob Solid — 2D Action-adventure game with various weapons and missions.
- BZFlag — Multiperson, first-person tank shooter.
- Chromium B.S.U. — Fast paced, arcade-style, top-scrolling space shooter.
- Frozen Bubble — Arcade game with colorful animated penguin eyecandy
- Hedgewars — Yet another Worms clone, considered to be better than its predecessor by many. Take turns to blast your opponents into oblivion with comedic results! Best in Multiplayer.
- LBreakout 2 — Breakout-style arcade game in the manner of Arkanoid
- || lbreakout2
- LTris — Arcade version of Tetris
- Penguin Command — Clone of the classic game "Missile Command" with improved graphics and sound.
- Performous — A free game like "Singstar", "Rockband" or "Stepmania".
- Teeworlds — Fast-paced 2D multiplayer shooter
1.3 Casual Games
- BSD Games — Collection of classic text games distributed with *BSD
- Fortune — Displays Random messages/quotes/jokes when invoked
- || fortune-mod
1.4 Chess Simulators
- GNU Chess — One of the oldest computer chess programs for Unix-based computers, lets most modern computers play a full game of chess
- Knights — Simple chess board for KDE 4. It is a rewrite of the KDE3 Knights.
- GNOME Chess — A 2D chess game which can use third party chess engines.
- GCompris — Educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10.
1.6 Interactive Fiction
1.7 Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMO)
- The Mana World — Serious effort to create an innovative free and open source MMORPG
- SuperTux — Mario-style game featuring Tux.
- Cgoban3 — Kiseido Go and SGF client.
- || cgoban
- Hitori — Small application written to allow one to play the eponymous puzzle game, which is similar in theme to more popular puzzles such as Sudoku.
- Picmi — Nonogram puzzle game
- Pingus — Lemmings clone, i.e. a level-based puzzle game.
- Simon Tatham's Portable Puzzle Collection — 30+ "quick" puzzle games with simplistic but polished GTK GUI
- Armagetron Advanced — Tron Clone in 3D.
- Extreme Tux Racer — 3D game where you guide Tux the penguin down a course of snow and ice collecting herring.
- Super Tux Kart — Kart racing game featuring Tux and his friends.
- Angband — Roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien.
- ASCIIpOrtal — Sidescrolling game with ANSI text graphics in which you are a person holding a device which creates portals, or links to other parts of the level.
- Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead — Post-apocalyptic roguelike.
- Nethack — Single player dungeon exploration game.
- Rogue — Original dungeon crawl game.
- || rogue
- Stone Soup — A roguelike game with huge and interesting scenarios.
1.12 Role-playing Games(RPG)
- FreedroidRPG — Mature science fiction role playing game set in the future
- OpenMW — Attempt to reimplement the popular role-playing game Morrowind. OpenMW aims to be a fully playable, open source implementation of the game's engine.
1.13 Shooters (FPS, third person)
- Warsow — Fast paced multiplayer FPS focusing on movement and trick jumps.
- Xonotic — Free, open-source first person shooter (a fork of Nexuiz but with modified gameplay).
- Minetest — Free and open source game similar to Minecraft.
- openBVE — Free-as-in-freedom train simulator placed in the public domain.
- 0 A.D. — 3D and historically-based real-time strategy game, alpha stage.
- Endgame Singularity — Turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving.
- Freeciv — Multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization.
- FreeCol — Turn-based strategy game based on Colonization.
- Globulation 2 — Multiplayer RTS with some "economic" elements minimizing the amount of micromanagement.
- MegaGlest — Fork of Glest, a 3D real-time strategy game in a fantastic world.
- OpenRA — An open-source implementation of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert engine using .NET/Mono and OpenGL.
- The Battle for Wesnoth — Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat.
- Widelands — Slow-paced strategy like "the Settlers 2".
- Warzone 2100 — You command the forces of The Project in a battle to rebuild the world after mankind has almost been destroyed by nuclear missiles. The game offers campaign, multi-player, and single-player skirmish modes. An extensive tech tree with over 400 different technologies, combined with the unit design system, allows for a wide variety of possible units and tactics.
1.16 Tycoon/Management Games
- Lincity — City simulation game in which you are required to build and maintain a city. You can win the game either by building a sustainable economy or by evacuating all citizens with spaceships.
- OpenTTD — Open source clone of the Microprose game "Transport Tycoon Deluxe", a popular game originally written by Chris Sawyer. It attempts to mimic the original game as closely as possible while extending it with new features.
- Pygame — A set of python modules for writing games in python. It is used as the basis of the "Invent with Python" books.
1.18 Comparison table
| 0 A.D.
|C/C++||Strategy||LGPL/GPLv2||0ad||3D and historically-based real-time strategy game.|
|C++||Action||PD/GPL/WTFPL||abuse||Side-scroller action game that pits you against ruthless alien killers.|
| Alien Arena
|C||FPS||GPLv2||Free, standalone FPS focused mainly on online multiplayer, but can also be played singleplayer against bots.|
|C||Rogue-Like||GPLv2||angband||Roguelike dungeon exploration game based on the writings of JRR Tolkien.|
|C/C++||FPS||ZLIB||Free multiplayer FPS, based on the cube engine. Realistic environments, fast, arcade gameplay. Much like Counter-Strike.|
| Endgame Singularity
|Python||Strategy||GPLv2||singularity||Turn based single player strategy/simulation about a AI hiding, growing and evolving.|
|C/C++||Simulation||GPLv2||Open-source, multi-platform flight simulator.|
|C||Simulation||GPLv2||Successor to Foobillard, OpenGL billiard game for Linux.|
|C||Strategy||GPLv2||freeciv||Multiuser clone of the famous Microprose game of Civilization.|
|Java||Strategy||GPLv2||freecol||Turn-based strategy game based on Colonization.|
||C/C++||Strategy||GPLv3||megaglest||Fork of Glest, a 3D real-time strategy game in a fantastic world.|
|C#||Strategy||GPLv3||openra||An open-source implementation of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert engine using .NET/Mono and OpenGL.|
|Python||Chess||GPLv3||An advanced chess client for Linux following the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.|
|C++||Platform||GPLv3||supertux|| Classic 2D jump'n side-scroller game similar to the Super Mario Bros games, featuring Tux. |
Milestone 1 of the game was released in 2003 and is provided by supertux-old.
Milestone 2, the current version of SuperTux in the Arch Linux community repository, was released in December 2015.
| The Battle for Wesnoth
|C/C++/Java||Strategy||GPLv2||wesnoth||Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat.|
| The Mana World
|C++||MMORPG||AGPLv3/GPLv3||manaplus||Serious effort to create an innovative free and open-source MMORPG.|
| Urban Terror
|C||FPS||GPLv2||Modern multiplayer FPS based on the ioquake3 engine.|
| Warzone 2100
|C++||Strategy||GPLv2||warzone2100||3D realtime strategy game on a future Earth.|