Parabola GNU/Social is a GNU/* distribution that aims to provide people with technical tools for social and cultural exchange without requiring them to resign freedom nor privacy.
1 Social Way
Parabola GNU/Social, as the libre GNU/Linux distribution for a libre Internet, should follow the next principles:
- Be libre: Parabola must provide only free software for free people applications.
- Be simple: Parabola follows the KISS principle, so it must be able to be built, maintained and upgraded in a simple and minimalist fashion.
- Be light: Parabola should be light and its packages should run in every computer architecture there is, so people can put it on any device they want.
- Be democratic: without a democratic and participative apparatus, Parabola can't be liberating for the people to use and to help others.
We already have everything we need, as Eben Moglen said, but we need to take these libre parts and build something that could free people from the hands of non-libre, harmful, proprietary services that populate the Internet.
Services for Parabola GNU/Social:
- System configuration and monitoring.
- Dynamic DNS.
- Instant messaging.
- Voice over IP (VoIP).
- Web server with a bunch of web applications, such as GNU Social.
- Peer-to-peer filesharing.
- Peer-to-peer backup.
- Radio and video streaming.
- Privacy-aware proxy.
- Services discovery.
Subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The list is not active right now.
4 What's being done right now?
- ISOC-NY Event: Eben Moglen ‘Freedom in the Cloud’ – 2/5/2010: Video
- Freedom In the Cloud: Software Freedom, Privacy, and Security for Web 2.0 and Cloud Computing: Transcription
- FreedomBox Project: Similar project based on Debian